Monday, April 28, 2008

Shoutout to my boy

So just in case you don't know, my buddy Joe writes for a newspaper in Northern California. Now there's a lot of ways to describe Joe. Two of his favorites are the greatest thing since sliced bread and The smartest man alive (there's a facebook group for it).

Anyhow, the smartest man alive and my boy Jon (who thinks Joe stole that title from him), co-authored Joe's blog the other day. (For the full link, check out http://dailyrepublic.typepad.com/rage) In the blog, they argued that women comics aren't funny because they are typecast into roles. Or something of that nature.

However, I pointed out the flaw in that logic. Women aren't generally as funny as men because society doesn't value "funny" as a personality trait for women. You've never heard a guy call his buddies and say "Man, I got a date with that super funny chick Saturday night".

Women, on the other hand, happen to find funny men to be outstanding. Now I'm not saying you're going to be hitting hotel pools with Megan Fox just because a guy is funny, but it certainly is much more valuable for a man to be funny than for a woman.

Either way, Joe's blog is a great read and he makes a lot of interesting points, especially if you like pop culture.

1 comment:

Kim & Dic said...

I feel somehow offended that I would NOT be typcasted as a funny female..in fact that is all I want to be...funny....and beautiful and intellegent, but those are givens, and Devin I think you and I need to have a little "female" talk one of these days...