Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Malcolm Gladwell is a genius

I happened to finish work early for the day, so I went over to www.gladwell.com to kill some time before my last class of the day. And I'm sure glad I did.

I remember how many people I know felt like I was underachieving by going to San Diego State. The kid with 48 units of college credit is going to the state's party school? The guy who knocked out 11 AP classes with 4 or 5s on the exams? Glad you worked so hard to get your 4.6 in high school.

Well, maybe I intuitively already had read this Gladwell article:

http://www.gladwell.com/2005/2005_10_10_a_admissions.html

Just cut and paste the above text into your browser

Okay, so that's not possible, because this article was just an electrical impulse in his laptop when I was graduating from college. But still, what he wrote on October 10, 2005 made me that much happier with my decision to go to SDSU.

The article basically discusses the vagaries of the Harvard Admission's process, and how it might seem unfair to some people, but in fact is necessary given Harvard's goals for its graduating classes. And that's all I'm going to say, because I know when to concede to my betters. So click on the link already.

No comments: